Monday, February 8, 2010

Where is Don Draper When You Need Him?

 This ad may very well set back the environmental movement decades.  But the important question is: will it help Audi?  It seems to me that this ad will be most amusing to folks who are upset at green mania (fly over country, red states, whatever), but is the demographic niche that Audi is seeking?  Probably not.  I am now less annoyed that I didn't get the American commercials for the Super Bowl.


On the other hand, FloTV knows its market--guys who hate being married.  So, they can buy a small tv which means that they never have to pay attention to the wife!  Genius!

For a complete breakdown of the ads, see this Slate piece, which averred:
A man is so protective of his Doritos stash that he uses the savory snack chips as ninja throwing stars when someone tries to steal a bag from him. I admit I chuckled at the suit of Samurai armor made entirely from Doritos. I also liked the earlier ad in which a little boy admonishes his mother's suitor, "Keep your hands off my mama, keep your hands off my Doritos." In the battle of pure humor spots, I'd say Doritos bested Bud Light. Which is remarkable when you consider that all the Doritos ads were submitted as part of a contest, while the Bud Light ads were made by an expensive advertising agency. Chalk one up for the slightly superior mediocrity of crowds.
All in all, lots of money spent to demonstrating that the advertising business may be doing as much damage to the advertising business as the internet is.

No comments: