Monday, April 21, 2014

Pondering Two Decades

When I noticed the recent spate of tv shows and movies set in the 1980's and 1990's, I thought that was kind of quick.  Then I realized the early 90's are twenty years ago.  When I was a kid, the hottest show on TV was Happy Days, which was about the 1950's, and I was a kid in the .... 1970s.  So, yeah, I am old.

But the sudden realization that the 1990's are now twenty years ago is a bit of a shock.  Sure, my students will soon be younger than my PhD (would be already if I taught undergrads these days) and younger than my career.  With my daughter headed off to college next fall, my students will soon be younger than her. 

So, what does this mean?  That Heathers is a long time ago, certainly.  That we are nearing the 20th anniversary of Independence Day, which means the re-boot or sequel is around the corner.  That I cannot complain about new shows being set in the 1990s.  That I cannot complain about 1990s music being folded into classic rock.  Yes, I am quickly turning into a cranky old man. 

Of course, the old wisdom still holds: aging is better than the alternative.

No comments: