Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Citizenship Day

I feel like I am now living in two realities, perhaps two timelines, so isn't it perfect that today is the day that Marty McFly and Doc Brown arrive in 2015?
Of course, the big difference is that I am not going back.  I will forever be both Canadian and American.  Given that I have said that Canadians speak differently than Americans--asking questions rather than making declarations--I am going to be confused and confusing.

This process has been far more fun and interesting than the Permanent Residency process.  I enjoyed studying the Citizenship Guide, got only slightly terrified during the test, and have looked forward to joining the club of Canadians for quite some time.  I definitely should have done it sooner, but I tend to put off form filling.  My mistake.

The ceremony was very cool.  75 of us, of all races, both official languages and many unofficial ones, of many ages.  Well organized.  The judge had nice words of welcome and ended by congratulating us on our courage and tenacity.  Not much courage on my part, but some tenacity in terms of the forms.  The ceremony ended with the judge inviting the kids present to come to the front as we all sang OUR national anthem (see pic below).



 Anyhow, I pre-apologize to all Canadians for anything that I do that might be un-Canadian over the next ... rest of my lifetime.  And thanks for having me aboard.


Here is a happy Canadian (and American)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, but please don't become a Habs fan, we've already got plenty of them around here...

Steve Saideman said...

Thanks. That would require me to care about hockey.